Many homes overlook the ocean. At La Grave on Ile du Havre-Aubert, there are a number of souvenir shops and cafes in older wooden buildings; there are also fishing boats tied up at the wharf here. Apparently, this island was the one that gave the islands their English name. Champlain called this island "La Magdalene" on a map dated 1632; he called the group of island "Îles Ramées". Officially, the "Isles-de-la-Madeleine" were named after Madeleine Fontaine, the wife of Sieur François Doublet, a French seigneur put in charge of the islands.
A ferry travels between Souris on Prince Edward Island and Cap-aux-Meules, the main settlement on the islands.